Wednesday, March 23, 2011

EXPIRE

EXPIRE is a up and coming hardcore band from the Midwest that is a force to be reckoned with. they have NYHC blend of heaviness mixed with a groove that really adds to their aesthetic. with most tracks not even topping 2 minutes they are in your face, direct and real. this hardcore in its purest form. I got a chance to see what they are all about recently, check it out.

ATW: What's up guys? who am i speaking with and what do you do in EXPIRE?

Zach: My name's Zach and I play guitar in Expire.

ATW: You guys are relatively new, how did EXPIRE come to be?

Zach: In late summer '09 I was living in Chicago. I wanted to start a new band because my old band was coming to an end. I got a hold of our old bass player and our drummer Marcus andI started bussing up to Milwaukee to write and practice. Josh came into the picture after the demo was written, did his thing and that was that. We recorded the demo in late August of 2009 and played our first show in September.

ATW: Awesome. what do you feel that Midwest Hardcore is bringing to the table and people should pay attention to as of late?

Zach: Most bands from the Midwest have always been very greatful for what they have, big or small. I think that's something that's definitely lacking in hardcore right now. Aside from gas prices always rising, it's very easy to tour if you're organized and have the drive. The thing that I feel like sets Midwest bands apart in that is they don't take that for granted. On the coasts, you can play a week of shows and never be more than 6 hours from home where as in the Midwest, 4 hours is a short drive. Little things like that I feel really set it apart. Not to say that there aren't bands from the coasts that don't appreciate being able to tour and appreciate what they have. But more times than not, bands from around here have to work for every single thing that they have where as sometimes on the coasts I feel like that isn't the case.

ATW: In your opinion what were favorite time in hardcore so far? best shows? memories, your area or others, tours etc etc.

Zach: I've been going to shows since I was 14 and I can honestly say that I get more and more excited about hardcore everyday. So as far as my favorite time in hardcore? It would have to be today. And tomorrow, it will probably be tomorrow. Not going to lie, I have the worst memory in the world when it comes to shows haha. I can't remember half of the tours I've been on. All I can say is that everytime we play Cedar Falls IA, St. Louis MO or Ann Arbor MI, my mind gets blown.


ATW: I personally checked you guys out around almost a year and a half ago, Grim Rhythm shows a heavier but groovier aesthetic to your band, how was the reaction to that 7" and how is Suffer The Cycle different?

Zach: Suffer The Cycle is definitely still an Expire record. Anyone who's listened to us knows that not everyone of our songs are going to sound the same. We take bits and pieces from what we like, mold them together and throw our own spin on them. If you liked Grim Rhythm I don't think you will be disappointed.


ATW: What tours have you done? I saw you guys at sound and fury and i was absolutely blown away, not only was i stoked because i was familiar with you guys but i actually saw people, including my friends walk over to the area you guys were playing and say "wow, holy shit" or "who are these dudes?".

Zach: That's fucking great man, little things like you saying that are why I'm still so stoked on hardcore. Well our first show was actually the first day of our first tour, as complicated as that sounds haha. So we've pretty much been touring since we started. It's a lot harder for bands from our area to get recognized if they don't know how to work for it aka don't know how to tour, so we've been touring pretty consistently since we started.

ATW: Whats coming up for EXPIRE?

Zach: Well we leave Monday with Alpha & Omega and Take Offense which will be awesome. Both of those bands new LP's rip. After that we head out with Harm's Way and Venia for a few weeks then in June/July we have a full US tour set up with Minus, Soul Search and Twitching Tongues. We have a few more things in the works but nothing that's solid. Needless to say, we could not be more stoked about everything we have coming up.

ATW: Take this time to shout out some hardworking bands from your area that you think people should get into if they haven't already.

Zach: All the midwest hardcore bands who are working hard. Agress, Former Theives, Harm's Way, Bent Life, Iron Rain, Face Reality, Focused Minds and Homewrecker. Be on the look out for us on the road this year. Also a shout out to anyone with a dog, let us stay with you on tour so I can kick it with your pooch. Thanks for the interview Joe.

ATW: Thanks guys!

to check out everything related to EXPIRE you can:

like them on Facebook - Here

Or pick up something from them - Here

No comments:

Post a Comment